Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Searching For Derek ... Finding ‘Dirty Minnie’

The Search For Derek Begins ...

In between attending informative workshops and networking with wonderful writers at last week’s National Romance Writers of America Conference in Atlanta, I’d planned to "find Derek." (Those of you who are unfamiliar with the “Finding Derek Project,” click here).

My friend, Calista Fox, whose novella, In the Heat of the Night, also appears in Secrets Volume 13, agreed to tag along for moral support. So Thursday night, off we went to Underground Atlanta -- a touristy area by day, with a myriad of shops, that turns into a happenin’ spot by night, with lines winding out the doors of the handful of clubs and bars.

That is, it’s a happening spot on Friday and Saturday nights.

After peering into deserted barrooms and empty dance floors, I chose the bustling (by comparison) Triple Play. Sauntering past the two poker players, two dining patrons, and lone barstool occupant, we sat down to wait for Derek.

And wait.

And wait.

As we overdosed on the World Championship Dart Tournament on one of the fifty television screens, Tina, our delightful, friendly bartender came to our rescue. "Would you like something else to drink?" she asked.

"What's strong like a Long Island Ice Tea but actually tastes good? Or something sweet?" I asked.

Tina listed a few drinks, and their ingredients. At my lack of enthusiasm, she said, "I'll make a drink just for you."

And that she did. I may be the first romance author to have a drink created just for her.

The Dirty Minnie is found ...

Here’s the drink that the fabulous Tina created just for me:

Dirty Minnie - (created by Tina at Triple Play for Rachelle Chase)

1-1/2 Stoli Strasberi
Splash of Stoli Vodka
3/4 Amaretto
Splash of Grenadine
Splash of Sprite
Splash of Sweet and Sour
Garnish with lemon and cherry

It's delicious, but deadly, so drink it with caution.

Why's My Drink Called a "Dirty Minnie?"


While standing in line for the elevator at the conference, a fellow writer complimented me on my red dress with white polka dots and said, "You look like Minnie Mouse."

Another writer, who knew that I write erotic romance, jokingly said, "Yes, a Dirty Minnie."

I was flattered. I relayed the story to Tina. And the Dirty Minnie was born.

But the Search For Derek Continues ...

This week, my best laid plans were derailed. But I promise to have a Derek or two for you next week. Stay tuned ...

5 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

That's hysterical!!!!!
I'm so staying tuned for more Derek sightings ;-)

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Thanks for staying tuned, Amie. Yeah, it does seem like it's going to be an interesting journey ... LOL

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Calista Fox, Author said...

I'll vouch for the fact that it was a wild adventure. I was still drunk from the Dirty Minnie's when I woke at oh, roughly 10:00 a.m. the next morning. (Mind you, I didn't get back to my hotel room until 5 a.m.)

Next time you go looking for Derek, just give me a call and I'm there for you, girl! (What lengths a friend will go for another... LOL)

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Thanks for the testimonial on the power of the Dirty Minnie, Calista. LOL

You're definitely on for the next Derek hunt. Uh ... when did we say we were going to do that writer's retreat?? :-)

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Thanks, Kimberly. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home