Wednesday, August 16, 2006

When Ignorance IS NOT Bliss and Silence IS Golden

There are two times in my recent history that I can remember being clueless to the point of an embarrassing ditzy-ness. The first was two years ago, when I joined a singles motorcycle club, despite the fact that I knew nothing about motorcycles or riding – and showed up for my first ride wearing high-heeled sandals and a sleeveless shirt. Can you spell h-u-m-a-n P-o-p-s-i-c-l-e ?

The second was last week while I was writing in the bar at Kincaid’s with my friend, Mary B. Morrison (BTW – Mary just made the New York Times bestsellers list! Woo-hoo!!). Yes, we were writing -- sometimes writer’s block demands more than caffeine inhalations to unstop it. Sometimes it requires a crab dip, teriyaki beef, and coconut shrimp sampler, followed by a huge bowl of peach cobbler with ice cream, and a mango mojito chaser, and a fellow writer to listen to me whine about the injustice of deadlines.

So, in between stuffing my face and whining, I’m writing away – or trying to– when a male voice behind me says, "What are you two working on?"

"We’re writers," I say. I tell him what we’re working on. His friend joins the conversation. Introductions are made – he is Aaron Brooks and his friend is Kent Smith. We all talk about books and writing.

"I’ve written a book, too," says Aaron.

"Great. What’s it called?" I ask.

"Rise Above," he says. I learn that the book is about his life and is a motivational tool aimed at youth. I also learn that Aaron and Kent are quarterbacks for the Oakland Raiders. The conversation turns to football, which I know nothing about. I share this ignorance, admitting that I don’t know what, exactly, a quarterback does, and that I used to watch games with my dad as a kid, picking the winning team based on the color of their uniforms.

Yes, sometimes it is best to remain SILENT.

By the time the conversation was over and we each went our separate ways, I can’t say I was much more knowledgeable about football – except for the fact that quarterbacks are nice people.

Photos: (left) Rachelle & Aaron Brooks, (right) Rachelle & Kent Smith

17 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Jordan Summers said...

LOL! Oh, Rachelle, even I know they throw the ball through the hoop. LMAO! ;)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Uh ... hoop, Jordan? LOL

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Jordan Summers said...

Then hit with a stick. *ggg*

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Edie Ramer said...

Rachelle, you have a more interesting time writing than I do! More interesting snacks too. I think it's great that you only remember being embarrassingly ditzy twice. It's happened to me so many times, I've lost count.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Thank goodness there are some interesting moments to break-up the monotony, Edie. :-) Regarding ditzy, I said "recent history," which can mean in the last week. LOL

Jordan, too bad you weren't with me. We would've made a great team. LOL

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, Rachelle. I'm not from the States but I once toured it with a friend shortly after leaving high school. A quaterback we met tried to explain not just what he did, but the whole concept and rules of American football, and I felt like I'd just listened to someone talking in Greek for 15 minutes. This is nothing new. I've watched rugby my whole life, and I know all the rules, but couldn't tell you when someone is off side if my life depended on it :)

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Ahhhh, Michelle, it is so good to hear that I am not alone. I just Googled rugby to see if this was the sport I was thinking of -- yep, I've seen this once. And, yep, another confusing sport. According to Wikipedia, the crucial difference between rugby and soccer is, in rugby, the ball is a "prolate spheroid." ROTFL Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed about the sport.

Bella, your dad coaches for the Steelers?? Awesome! And congratulations on football still being a mystery to you. :-)

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Thanks for the clarification, Bella ... My "imagination" was wondering the same thing. *wink*

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Kaia said...

Rachelle, you should've asked Kent Smith to show you how to hike the ball. That's all the education you needed and he looks like the perfect coach. Umph!

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

That did not occur to me, Kaia. NOW you tell me ... ;-)

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

OMG........shit like that never happens to me. Guess I should start writing in bars ;-)
FWIW I know NOTHING about football either *g*

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Too bad you weren't there, too, Amie. We would've made quite a team. :-)

Yeah, well, I seem to be accumulating quite a few stories since I've begun writing in coffee shops and bars -- though, I think the bar stories are some of the most interesting. LOL You might want to try it.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Denise McDonald said...

OMG! - my son would die - I know more about sports than I care too thanks to him! (and FWIW - when I read the name at first I was wondering "there's no way it's the same guy" and sure enough...)

I think Amie and I should take our laptops and hit the bars - LOL - can you write that off?!?!?!

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

OMG Girl can you see us trying to write off our liquor bills--heck can you see us trying to write drunk?

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Hi Dennie -- why would your son die and which name are you referring to?

Dennie/Amie -- I have written off a few of those bills. For example, when I had a meeting with the manager about doing a book event in their bar, etc. I don't fudge but when there is a legit writing-related meeting, etc., the night/day gets written off.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Denise McDonald said...

Aaron Brooks - my child lives and breathes sports - my DH has gotten to asking him (keep in mind the child is 10) when he cannot remember who is on what team... (baseball, basketball and football - he's not so much into hockey...LOL)

Amie and I will have to try it!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Rachelle Chase said...

Thanks for the clarification, Dennie. That must make your son puff up with pride -- that his dad comes to him for sports details. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home